Here, you will find links to the recently updated Florida's Safe Routes To School (SRTS) Guidelines and Infrastructure Application Form. The official version of these forms can also be found on FDOT's Forms Website. The application number is 500-000-03. (Note: These forms will not be immediately available on Florida's SRTS website www.srtsfl.org as it is undergoing redesign.)
Applications will be due to the local Metropolitan/Transportation Planning Organizations (MPO/TPO) or the local Board of County Commissions (BCC), whichever is appropriate based on the list below. Timelines for the opening of the application cycle and deadline will be established by the individual MPO/TPO or BCC. Please coordinate with the FDOT District Liaisons listed below for the exact dates/deadlines for the application process.
Contact Information for District 5's FDOT District Liaisons is as noted:
- Brevard Co: Lorena Valencia 386-943-8426
- Lake/Marion Co: Vickie Wyche 386-943-5185
- Orange/Osceola/Seminole Co: Gene Ferguson 407-482-7863
- Volusia Co/Palm Coast: James Brown 386-943-5427
All others should contact their BCC Clerk to determine specific deadlines and requirements relating to Commission Workshops and Meetings.
For all other questions or general informaton relating to SRTS, please contact:
Infrastructure: Tony Nosse, P.E. 386-943-5334 Anthony.Nosse@dot.state.fl.us
Non-Infrastructure: Joan Carter 386-943-5335 Joan.Carter@dot.state.fl.us
Below is a list of the major changes made to the guidelines/application as a result of the State's SRTS revision:
Section 1 - Schools, Applicant, and Maintaining Agency Information
- High Schools are now eligible
- CTST's are no longer eligible applicants
- Maintaining Agencies are now eligible applicants
- Signature of School Board Superintendent or Principal is now mandatory
Section 2 - Eligibility & Feasibility Criteria (Section A must be completed prior to applying.)
- Section A
1. Only 1 SRTS Committee meeting must be held.
2. There must be public notification of the SRTS meeting
- Student In-Class Travel Tally
1. Only student in-class travel tallies are required.
2. Information from tallies must be entered at www.saferoutesdata.org
3. The Travel Tally Summary will need to be attached to the application.
- Surveys/As-Builts or right-of-way documentation must be provided showing that there is adequate ROW for the proposed project.
- Public Outreach/Support: The correct make-up of the SRTS Committee will insure important information reaches key people/groups who need
to be included in decision making related to SRTS proects.
1. While Bike/Ped Committee meetings, Commission meetings, and MPO's, etc. are considered public meetings, they often do attract the
people who will be directly impacted by a sidewalk or infrastructure project. Public Outreach/Support must include:
a. Meetings wih PTA's/PTO's and/or other parent meetings.
b. Meeings with Neighborhood Associations or other meetings with neighbors.
Section 4 - Problem Identification
- New to the application: 5 years of crash data for the project location is required.
Section 7B - Cost Estimate Narrative
- Mandatory breakdown of project by pay items and quantities
Section 8 - Submission Checklist
- Checlist of required attachments
Last Section - For FDOT District Use Only
- If a project is funded, please complete this information before sending to the Central Safety Office.